Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Salade de poivrons aux anchois/Pepper and Anchovy Salad

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2009

What is your food indulgence? What would you make if you only had to cook for yourself, taking no one else’s food preferences into consideration? I recently had such a conversation with a group of women friends. Not surprisingly, pasta figured prominently in the selections. As it does for me.

My husband is traveling for about 2 ½ weeks. I figured I wouldn’t be cooking much during this time. Then I came across Salade de poivrons aux anchois. Anchovies seem to be an item that no one is neutral about: either you adore them or detest them. I’m definitely in the adore column, but I don’t get to use them very often because of the "detest" factor among most of my friends and family. When I saw a recipe that combines yummy roasted peppers
and anchovies how could I resist! I would put them over pasta and have me a double food indulgence.

Roasting peppers has become an easy endeavor. This recipe uses red and yellow peppers. I was struck once again by how much tastier they are made fresh than the jarred variety. These were topped by slivers of anchovy, sprinkled with an oil and red wine vinegar dressing, and topped with chopped scallions. The dressing was interesting because it contained the juices of the roasted peppers as well. One could even leave out the anchovy (or substitute strips of salami) and have one nice antipasto. Putting it all on top of pasta was like icing on a cake. Yum!

(I took a photo of this dish. It looked very pretty, with the peppers arranged attractively on a plate. However, in an effort to be efficient with my camera’s memory, I accidentally erased the images. Aaaaugh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment